Who is Spirasi?
Spirasi is the National Centre for the rehabilitation of survivors of torture in Ireland. Spirasi stands for Spiritan Asylum Services Initiative. The rehabilitative services offered by Spirasi are unique in Ireland and consist of the following:
• Multidisciplinary Initial Assessment - medical, therapeutic and psychosocial for both victims of torture and those who have suffered cruel and inhuman or degrading treatment
• Ongoing therapeutic interventions for victims of torture which includes individual, group and family therapies
• Both in-house and outreach psychosocial supports
• Medical Legal Reports (MLRs) for the protection process
• English language classes for victims of torture and their families that complement the rehabilitative work.
What we did?
This year in aid of Spirasi we have hosted the Noel Turley Memorial Trophy in the UCD Belfield Bowl. This is an annual charity rugby match between St. Michael’s College and Blackrock College. Transition Year students from both Colleges collaborated together and formed an ‘ambassador group’ who advocated for the work of Spirasi. We met on many occasions in St. Michael’s College and in Blackrock planning and strategising the event. We also went to the Spirasi headquarters and met with workers there in order to appreciate more the work that Spirasi does. Our fundraising was generated by ticket sales and through Corporate Sponsorship[. We sold all €7,500 of tickets through St. Michael’s College. On the day, we were present as stewards to welcome people, take tickets, help people to their seats and finally clean up. The game was finally held on the 12th November and raised €28,000 for Spirasi.
On the 15th March 2023, Rory Halpin CEO of Spirasi visited our school to talk to TY and some 5th Year students. He gave us a wonderful further insight into the work of Spirasi. We now look forward to carrying out further awareness campaigns in St. Michael’s College after Easter.
St.Michael's College, Ailesbury Road, Dublin D04A373
Ph: 2189400 / e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org